Which of the following tools will upgrade a Windows Server 2003 member servers to a domain controller?
2. Server upgrade wizard
5. Windows update
Correct answer(s): 4
Explanation: In the run dialog box, enter dcpromo to upgrade from a member server to a domain controller.
You are the systems administrator for a small company that has only 1 printer. The HR department only uses the printer on Monday to print paychecks that are due on Tuesday, however, while the checks are printing the printer is tied up and nobody else can print. Which of the following is the easiest and most efficient solution to this problem?
1. Configure each of the drivers to print directly to the printer
2. Create another printer and assign a priority of 1 to it and instruct the HR department to send the paychecks to this newly created printer
3. Add another printer in the Add Printer Wizard that points to the same print device. Make this printer available between the hours of 5pm and 5am. Instruct the HR Department to use this printer for printing checks
4. Create another printer and assign a priority of 99 to it and instruct the HR department to send the paychecks to this newly created printer
Correct answer(s): 3
Explanation: Since the paychecks are not due until Tuesday, it would be best to schedule the jobs to be printed at night when nobody else is using the printer. Assigning a priority of 1 to the printer would not make any difference since the printer used by the other employees would also have a priority of 1 as this is the default setting. Creating a separate printer with a priority of 99 would give the the HR department higher priority to the printer and would not help in allowing others to print.
Web Reference: Scheduling Alternate Printing TimesObjective: Managing and Maintaining a Server Environment
You are the systems administrator for XYZ Corporation. Your company’s policy states that if an unsigned driver must be installed on one of your Windows 2003 production servers, it must be documented. You are preparing to upgrade the network card on one of your servers and need to make sure that you are alerted if an unsigned file is about to be installed so that you can document it before installing. Which of the following options in the Driver Signing Options dialog box should you configure?
Correct answer(s): 2
Explanation: The warn option checks the signature on the driver before installation by checking whether the driver has passed WHQL testing. A message appears whenever a user tries to install a driver that fails a signature check. The driver can still be installed; however, this is not recommended.
The ignore option disables digital signature checking. Setup silently checks the signature on the driver, logs any unsigned driver files to a log file, and allows installation of the driver even if the driver is unsigned. Block will prevent the installation of unsigned files.
The block option blocks installation of a driver that fails a signature check. The user is notified that Windows Server 2003 cannot install the unsigned driver.
Alert and notify are made up options.
Web Reference: How Device Drivers WorkObjective: Managing and Maintaining Physical and Logical Devices
Which of the following are true regarding Windows Server 2003 licensing?
1. In Per Device or Per User licensing mode, CALs can be added or removed
2. You can remove Per Server licenses from a server and use them on another
3. You can convert from Per Server to Per Device or Per User licensing one time free of charge
4. You cannot convert from Per Device or Per User to Per Server licensing
Correct answer(s): 1 3 2 4
Explanation: Conversion works from per server to per seat, but not in the reverse direction.
Web Reference: Licensing Overview for Windows Server 2003
You are the systems administrator for XYZ company and have been tasked with setting up SUS to deploy updates to your Windows XP professional client computers running service pack 1. Your network utilizes Active Directory and you install SUS on a Windows 2003 server. After running an initial synchronization, a number of updates are downloaded, however, none of your clients are receiving the updates. Which of the following could be causing this?
1. Configure a group policy to enable automatic updates and define the location of the SUS server.
2. You must first define a synchronization schedule with the Windows Update server.
3. You must install service pack 2 on the XP professional clients.
4. You did not approve the update in the Software Update Services administration screen.
Correct answer(s): 4 1
Explanation: You can edit the registry on your AU clients or configure a group policy to point to the newly installed SUS server. It is a good idea to run wuauclt.exe /detectnow on the server and ensure the client is seen by SUS. This will ensure that clients are connecting to the server. Updates must first be approved in order to be distributed to clients.
Web Reference: Software Update Services, Part 1Objective: Managing and Maintaining a Server Environment